Monday, March 16, 2009

Armies and Chilly Weather


I just posted a few new pieces to my Etsy and 1000 Markets on-line stores. http://www.annaperronedesigns.etsy.com/ http://www.annaperronedesigns.1000markets.com/



One of the newbies is my favorite knit piece yet. The Amethyst Armies were co-designed by my partner and have proven to be best sellers at the local outdoor market.


Speaking of Armies, you might be wondering just what I mean. Armies are my own creation. They are a glove alternative that I originally created for myself. I was having trouble keeping my hands and fingers warm as I crafted and typed. (No one told me it snowed in Seattle...) The long winter here in the Northwest has forced, rather, inspired me to create a whole new line of function knitwear. The current Armies pattern is my own (not altered or copied from another artist).


The style is sometimes referred to as gauntlets, arm warmers, fingerless gloves, wrist warmers or figerless mittens. A snuggly knit tube features a finished opening at both ends ensuring that shape and yarn ends remain intact, a hole for your thumb to poke through, and a contrast stitch around the palm to increase your grip. An additional feature can be added upon special request: a reinforced wrist. And men love them too!!


Armies can be worn for all sorts of different activites or just for style. I use mine while knitting, making jewelry, shopping, driving, typing and while working at my booth at the Fremont Sunday Market. Many other market vendors wear them too. They are great for keeping hands and fingers warm while still allowing you to handle money safely. They can also be worn while jogging, biking, playing an instrument, yoga, walking, etc.


Armies can also help maintain warmth and blood flow through your wrists. Many people, especially crafters and others who work with their hands (massage therapists, grocery checkers, receptionists) are susceptible to repetetive stress injuries (tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.). By increasing blood flow to the afflicted area one can better manage the pain of such injuries. Upon request, Armies can be made with warmer and/or thicker yarn along the wrist area. This helps maintain heat but the added support also helps hold the wrist similar to the way an Ace bandage does.

Armies can be made in any color combination, or in solid colors, and in a wide variety of fibers. Below is a list of yarns I have in my current stock and what that particular fiber offers.


Merino wool: warm, very soft, low allergy, natural fiber

Cashmere: very warm, very soft, natural fiber

Silk: warm, smooth, animal friendly, natural fiber

Bamboo: eco-friendly, natural fiber, renewable resource, feels like silk, incredibly durable

Corn: eco-friendly, natural fiber, renewable resource, feels like cotton

Banana plant rayon: looks like silk, nubby texture, natural fiber, eco-friendly

Cotton & Organic Cotton: eco-friendly, natural fiber, machine washable, allergy free

Alpaca: warmer than wool, lanolin-free, very low allergy, natural fiber

Acrylic: very durable, allergy free, synthetic - allergy free, machine washable

Angora: warm, very soft, natural fiber


So, if your'e looking for a great, functional, snuggly accessory, give them a try. These are the softest Armies you'll ever come in contact with. Don't forget, men love them too.


Cheers, Anna
Anna Perrone Designs

No comments: